[conspire] (forw) echoes from 1999: Windows Refund Day

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Sep 20 16:30:28 PDT 2006

Neat!

----- Forwarded message from John Beale <beale at best.com> -----

Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 13:56:42 -0700
From: John Beale <beale at best.com>
To: verified-rick at linuxmafia.com
CC: rick at linuxmafia.com
Subject: echoes from 1999: Windows Refund Day

Hi Rick,

In the unlikely event this email is still live and not spammed into
oblivion, just thought I'd let you know... I got an inquiry this week from
someone putting together artwork for an exhibit on the history of computing
and software at the New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science, of
all places. I assume this one: http://164.64.119.7/nmmnh/exh_computer.html
"STARTUP: Albuquerque and the Personal Computer Revolution at NMMNHS"

They wanted to make a print of one of my photos from the Windows Refund Day
in 1999 for the exhibit.  The photo was used in the "Revolution OS" movie
(now that I check, part of it is included in the DVD cover art). The photo
shows people holding signs outside the MS office in Foster City saying "no
taxation without direct open source", "who ordered windows?" etc.

Fun detail: the museum's webpage says the computer history exhibit is
funded by Paul Allen.

cheers,
John Beale
www.bealecorner.com