[conspire] esteemed printers?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Nov 17 00:16:27 PST 2006

Quoting Eric De Mund (ead-conspire at ixian.com):

> Rick, All,
>
> What printers do you like for soho (small office/home office) use? I
> don't like how much ink my printer is gulping down.

Hmm, I haven't personally bought a printer in a long time.  My main
rules are:

1.  Heed the "Suggested Printers" list at http://www.linuxprinting.org/ .
2.  Stay away from inkjets.  (See: razor blade & razor sales gimmick)

Since I personally don't need colour printing at all, that makes it
easy:  I would buy whatever's a good laser (or equivalent
light-and-toner type, e.g. LED).

If you must have a colour printer, there are two strategies, depending
on how much you print:  (1) If you do very little colour printing, buy a
cheap inkjet, and use it for nothing else.  I.e., do your _real_,
everyday printing on a laser/LED unit.  (2) If you do substantial
amounts of colour printing, spring $400 for a good colour laser printer,
like the Minolta/QMS Magicolor 2430DL.

Most people I give this advice to, ignore it.  They usually end up
spending a _lot_ of money on ink cartridges.