[conspire] FTP "drop box"

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Wed Nov 15 21:49:54 PST 2006

begin Rick Moen quotation of Tue, Nov 14, 2006 at 10:34:40PM -0800:

> The last time I configured an anonymous ftp "drop box" setup, it was on
> wu-ftpd.  (Hey, it was a long time ago:  There wasn't much else, then.)
> The difficult part, there, was setting the umask desirably for uploaded
> files:  You want to make sure that the directory is world-writeable but
> not world-readable, and that any subdirectories the remote user is
> permitted to create (if any) follow suit.

Ok, vsftpd lets me lock down this stuff pretty
conveniently.  No need to let the anon users create
directories.  Thank you.

Lots of good paranoid options here:

There's possible abuse for users sending around the
names of known files so I have the uploaded files
themselves as ftp.nogroup, 600.  Will use a script
with sudo in it to move them out of the dropbox before
letting anyone open them.

Don Marti
dmarti at zgp.org