[conspire] FTP "drop box"

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Nov 14 22:34:40 PST 2006

Quoting Keith Keller (kkeller at speakeasy.net):

> I don't know apt-get, but I've used vsftpd for this purpose.

Can't be too difficult, and vsftpd certainly can't be beat for general
anonymous-only download service (what I use it for).

The last time I configured an anonymous ftp "drop box" setup, it was on
wu-ftpd.  (Hey, it was a long time ago:  There wasn't much else, then.)
The difficult part, there, was setting the umask desirably for uploaded
files:  You want to make sure that the directory is world-writeable but
not world-readable, and that any subdirectories the remote user is
permitted to create (if any) follow suit.

If you get any of those things wrong, within about a week or two, you'll
notice your site being used as a blind drop and pickup point for warez
-- if only because your filesystem will mysteriously start getting full.