[conspire] Waah, my little server crashed...

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Nov 9 23:32:02 PST 2006

Quoting Ed Biow (biow at sbcglobal.net):

> I sure don't want to run a power hungry PIV 24/7 just to download
> bittorrent distros and serve files. Does Linux ACPI throttle back
> power use very well? If Linux ACPI works well enough I could just
> transfer my servers over to one of my more powerful Athlon or Sempr0n
> computers. If ACPI doesn't throttle back the juice sufficiently I
> could just run BOINC or some other distributed client so I can at
> least do something socially useful with all those extra cycle.

I'm not really the right person to answer your question, since the only
modern gear I've worked with lately, especially with modern 2.6 kernels
capable of advanced power management, has been server hardware.
However, I can at least suggest some places to look:

http://acpi.sourceforge.net/
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_PowerNow!
http://www.suspend2.net/

--
Cheers,     "Learning Java has been a slow and tortuous process for me.  Every
Rick Moen   few minutes, I start screaming 'No, you fools!' and have to go