[conspire] Benchmarking Solaris Express versus Ubuntu: Sun Licensing Issue?

Mark Weisler mark.weisler at comcast.net
Fri May 26 09:28:27 PDT 2006

Hi all,
I ran across an interesting benchmark indicating that Ubuntu may outperform
Solaris Express in one area at least.

http://fridge.ubuntu.com/

What is also interesting is that this is a public performance comparison to a
Sun product. If I recall correctly, Sun has restrictions prohibiting someone
using their equipment and then publishing benchmarks or comparison
statistics. I know this prohibition is a factor in making public any
performance statistics of Sun's LDAP server and how it compares to offerings
not from Sun.

Maybe Ubuntu headquartering offshore on the Isle of Man gives a degree of
legal immunity. Anyway, the truth will out.
--
Mark Weisler
mark at  weisler-saratoga-ca.us