[conspire] (forw) Things not to try

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue May 23 13:42:19 PDT 2006

----- Forwarded message from Russell Shaw <rjshaw at netspace.net.au> -----

Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 12:47:06 +1000
From: Russell Shaw <rjshaw at netspace.net.au>
To: luv-talk at luv.asn.au
Subject: Things not to try

http://www-uxsup.csx.cam.ac.uk/misc/horror.txt

----- End forwarded message -----

RM adds:

I'm going through the above piece right now, nervously laughing.  My
favourite so far is:

   Our operations group, a VMS group but trying to learn UNIX, was assigned
   account administration. They were cleaning up a few non-used accounts
   like they do on VMS - backup and purge. When they came across the
   account "sccs", which had never been accessed, away it went. The
   "deleteuser" utility fom DEC asks if you would like to delete all
   the files in the account. Seems reasonable, huh?