[conspire] HP OmniBook XE2: live CD challenge

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Jun 23 18:57:43 PDT 2006

----- Forwarded message from Alexander Grundner <alexsfbay at yahoo.com> -----

Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 18:41:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: Alexander Grundner <alexsfbay at yahoo.com>
To: installers at linuxmafia.com
Subject: Notebook Details

Hi!

I'll be participating in tomorrow's installfest and
I'm bring my laptop that I can't seem to be able to
install any distro or run a Live CD on. I've tried
Knoppix, Ubuntu, DSL, and nothing :(

Laptop Details:
HP OminBook XE2
333 Mhz Pentium II
128 MB of RAM
6GB hard drive

* I'd prefer getting the Live CD to work before I wipe
the hard drive for clean install.

See ya tomorrow!

-Alex

http://mail.yahoo.com

> I'll be participating in tomorrow's installfest and
> I'm bring my laptop that I can't seem to be able to
> install any distro or run a Live CD on. I've tried
> Knoppix, Ubuntu, DSL, and nothing :(
>
> Laptop Details:
> HP OminBook XE2
> 333 Mhz Pentium II
> 128 MB of RAM
> 6GB hard drive
>
> * I'd prefer getting the Live CD to work before I wipe
> the hard drive for clean install.
>
> See ya tomorrow!

OK.  There are some tips on your unit, here:
http://www.linuxia.de/omnibook-xe2.en.html

I found that via the HP category on Linux on Laptops:
http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/hp.html

The author doesn't make it _seem_ all that challenging, but we'll have
to see what we find, tomorrow.  I have just about all available flavours
of Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu 6.06 LTS "Dapper Drake" including the live CD
"desktop" images, plus I'll be downloading and burning DSL 3.0 and maybe
the current releases of Kanotix and MEPIS (all installable live CDs).

Is your problem (perhaps) just one of getting X11 (graphics) going?  If
so, it's probably solvable.

----- End forwarded message -----