[conspire] (forw) Re: red hat

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Jun 23 18:13:51 PDT 2006

I have to admit that I'm a little confused about what this fellow
wants to do -- so I gave him something of a scattershot answer.

----- Forwarded message from "Williams, Mike" <MWILLIAMS at probusiness.com> -----

Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 17:24:28 -0700
From: "Williams, Mike" <MWILLIAMS at probusiness.com>
To: installers at linuxmafia.com
Subject: red hat

Hello Linuser,

I need/want/am looking to install the old RH 2.1.4xx with updated and stable kernel mods. Can I get an install or a disk for a lap with all current drivers and 802.xx support. Or in the alternative could you point me to a download site with all including Gnome, WINE, Apache, etc. (the apps that came with the named version) Also are there any known config issues with Crossover (Xandros to RH using the mentioned kernel)? I need an install of this and a workaround. I lost my old 2.1.4 disk set (Linux Bible circa 2001-2002). Hope you can help.

Mike

> I need/want/am looking to install the old RH 2.1.4xx with updated and
> stable kernel mods. Can I get an install or a disk for a lap with all
> current drivers and 802.xx support. Or in the alternative could you
> point me to a download site with all including Gnome, WINE, Apache,
> etc. (the apps that came with the named version) Also are there any
> known config issues with Crossover (Xandros to RH using the mentioned
> kernel)? I need an install of this and a workaround. I lost my old
> 2.1.4 disk set (Linux Bible circa 2001-2002). Hope you can help.

I'm sure we can help you and your laptop.  Any chance you can come to
the CABAL meeting tomorrow (Saturday, 4pm to midnight) in Menlo Park?
We have a vast array of current Linux distributions to use for
installation, and you are also welcome to duplicate them to take home.

I'd strongly recommend against reinstalling in 2006 a RH distribution as
ancient as the one you speak of.  Not only has Linux software generally
progressed a great deal since then generally, it has also patched huge
numbers of security holes that would make your old distribution perilous
to use today.

Crossover Office for Linux v. 5.0 (current release from Codeweavers) is
certified to run on these Linux distribution releases -- and thus on
their default kernels:

    * Red Hat 9
    * Fedora Core 4
    * Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 3 and 4
    * SuSE 10.0
    * Novell Linux Desktop
    * Mandriva 10.X
    * Debian Stable
    * Ubuntu 5.04
    * Ubuntu 5.10

(If you wish to run some older Crossover Office release than 5.0, then of
course it would have some different set of requirements, which I can't
look up even in theory without knowing what version that is.)

Of the distributions named above, I'd discourage you from using Red Hat
Linux 9, simply because it's so very obsolete and security-risky.  RHEL
3 and 4 are Red Hat's recommended migration path for users of the
original Red Hat Linux releases (which were terminated after Red Hat
Linux 9).

We have RHEL 3 and 4 available.

Ubuntu is a very popular desktop Linux distribution derived from Debian.
The two releases named are slightly obsolete:  They've been supplanted
by the recent release of v. 6.06.  Odds are that Crossover Office would
still work fine on it; it'd just not be certified by Codeweavers.

We have numerous flavours of Ubuntu 6.06 available.

Mandriva Linux is what was once called Mandrakelinux -- a desktop Linux
derived from Red Hat that boasts huge package selection and cutting-edge
versions.  The release series cited (10.X) is obsolete, as it ended with
v. 10.1 in Sept. 2004.  (Any distribution older than, oh, about a year
old is actively dangerous to system security unless it's still actively
receiving updates.)  We have a late-2005 version of Mandriva Linux:  "2006
Free Edition" available.

Novell Linux Desktop we don't have available, though you can buy it as a
shrinkwrapped retail offering at several stores, such as Microcenter.
It's a polished desktop variant of SUSE Linux.  We _do_ have the
just-released SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 10.1 Release Candidate 2.5
(basically a late beta), available.

SUSE 10.0 we do have available -- along with 10.1.

Debian I do not recommend except to experienced Linux users.

If you are fond of Xandros, which you mention but I'm not sure in what
capacity, you should be aware that Xandros Desktop 4.0 has very recently
been released.  I believe they have a "Deluxe Edition" that includes
Crossover Office.  (Xandros is a KDE-oriented desktop distribution,
based on Debian and intended to be particularly friendly to MS-Windows
users.)

We have only the downloadable Xandros Desktop v. 3.01 Open Circulation
Edition, which omits Crossover Office -- but I'm sure you can get _some_
release of Xandros Desktop Deluxe Edition in some Bay Area computer
stores such as Microcenter, though possibly only pre-4.0 versions (yet).

----- End forwarded message -----