[conspire] marillat.free.fr -> www.debian-multimedia.org

Daniel Gimpelevich daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us
Thu Jun 22 08:04:01 PDT 2006

On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 01:16:24 -0700, Rick Moen wrote:

> And yet, I've several times seen credible-seeming people suggest using
> the debian-marillat "sid" packages on Debian, ...

By all means, use "sid" packages on Debian. Sometimes it may even be
convenient to download individual .deb files from there for Ubuntu
(although I would prefer not to do that whenever possible), but adding
that repository to an Ubuntu sources.list is asking for trouble. What
package does that repository have that isn't available with the
sources.list I prepared (and don't anybody say RealPlayer)?

>> On powerpc and amd64, "sudo apt-get -b source foo" is your friend.
>
> This is what a truly cautious person would do on i386, too.

Like I said, it should be "fakeroot" and not "sudo" there, but how many
people are cautious enough to rebuild every package available through
apt-get? And if you mean only the ones from third-party repositories, how
is that more cautious when the source will come from the same third-party
repository?