[conspire] Ubuntu 6.06 LTS "Dapper Drake" has been released

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Jun 1 17:42:39 PDT 2006

Quoting Bill Ward (bill at wards.net):

> I don't see your logic.  I think they're OK until the end of the year 2999.

I re-found that Ubuntu blurb I was thinking of.  It was the "Quick Guide":
http://people.ubuntulinux.org/~mako/docteam/quickguide/ch01s04.html

   Version and Release Numbers

   The Ubuntu version numbering scheme is based on the date we release a
   version of the distribution. Our first release was in October 2004 so
   the version is 4.10. Our next release, sometime early 2005, will be
   roughly 5.40. So the version number comes from the year and month of
   the release rather than being an indicator of a specific piece of
   software in the release.

   Each Ubuntu release has a unique combination of component versions -
   kernel, X, Gnome, GCC, libc... so an aggregate version number does
   not make much sense. We prefer to give you an idea of when that
   release was pushed to the wires.

   You may ask yourself, "With such a numbering scheme, what happens
   with the version number in 2100?"

   Our answer is, "Our grandchildren should be able to figure that one
   out.  At the moment we're just focused on the next release :-)"

That jibe about the year 2100 is the part that lodged in my memory, at
the time.  ;->  (But you're right, that they're good through 2999.)