[conspire] application installation

Tim Utschig tim at tetro.net
Mon Jul 24 22:04:10 PDT 2006

On Tue, Jul 25, 2006 at 04:07:36AM +0000, jose tav wrote:
> Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Girls,
> Please some body can tell me how to install:
> install_flash_player_7_Linux.tar.gz, sitting on my /Desktop/,

Open a shell and run the following commands:

    cd ~/Desktop/
    tar zxvf install_flash_player_7_linux.tar.gz
    cd install_flash_player_7_linux/
    less Readme.txt

That should unpack the tar file, and get you to start reading the
included readme file.  In short what the readme will tell you to do is
to close your browser and run the included installation script:

    ./flashplayer-installer

That should be all there is to it.  Verify that it was installed
correctly by going to "about:plugins" in your browser.

> and for that matter any application.

Unfortunately applications not included by your Linux distribution often
don't have a consistent install process.

> Oh yeah, Daniel mentioned "clamscan" for detecting viruses. but I can find
> it, I think my spelling is wrong correction please!

I really doubt that you really need a virus scanner on Linux.  Unless
you're scanning emails destined for Windows machines, or scanning files
that Windows machines will be accessing (via Samba or what have you).

That said, "apt-get install clamav" should get you a program named
'clamscan' might be what Daniel was talking about.  Never having used
it, I don't have anything to say about it.  You might be interested in
reading the clamscan man page, either by installing it an running "man
clamscan" or just Googling "man clamscan":

   http://www.die.net/doc/linux/man/man1/clamscan.1.html

--
   - Tim Utschig <tim at tetro.net>