[conspire] Safe NTFS read/write driver for Linux

Daniel Gimpelevich daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us
Fri Jul 21 11:47:20 PDT 2006

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 03:43:44 -0700, Rick Moen wrote:

>> If ext3 can perform an fsck(8) at other than boot-time, that would be
>> great.
>
> Definitely doesn't at present -- though I don't personally see it as a
> must-have, but rather an it-would-be-nice.

This is not 100% true. AFAICT, it's perfectly safe to run e2fsck on
filesystems which are mounted read-only. Many times, I have remounted a
filesystem on a running system as read-only, run e2fsck, and then
remounted back to read-write if i wasn't issued a message telling me to
reboot. I've actually done this more with ext2, but it works on ext3 just
as well. I should also point out that for mount points other than /,
boot-time vs. not boot-time really makes no difference whatsoever.