[conspire] Safe NTFS read/write driver for Linux

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Fri Jul 21 09:02:06 PDT 2006

begin Rick Moen quotation of Fri, Jul 21, 2006 at 02:43:44AM -0700:

> As a data point, my server has nothing _but_ ext3 (and ext2 where
> appropriate).  It goes through fsck very, very, very rarely --
> basically, almost never -- but some careful checking has found zero
> detectable file lossage from cumulative error conditions.  None at all.

Interesting idea from man tune2fs: snapshot your
important filesystem, take your time fsck-ing the
snapshot, then mark the important filesystem as
checked as of the time you took the snapshot.

-T time-last-checked
       Set the time the filesystem was last checked using e2fsck.  This
       can  be  useful in scripts which use a Logical Volume Manager to
       make a consistent snapshot of a filesystem, and then  check  the
       filesystem  during  off  hours  to make sure it hasn’t been cor‐
       rupted due to hardware problems, etc.   If  the  filesystem  was
       clean, then this option can be used to set the last checked time
       on the original filesystem.  The format of time-last-checked  is
       the  international date format, with an optional time specifier,
       i.e.  YYYYMMDD[[HHMM]SS].   The keyword now is also accepted, in
       which  case  the  last  checked  time will be set to the current
       time.

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/