[conspire] Safe NTFS read/write driver for Linux

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Jul 20 16:15:17 PDT 2006

Quoting Eric De Mund (ead-conspire at ixian.com):

> Don, Rick, All,

Hi there!

> What's the executive summary of what I need to know about journaling
> filesystems that significantly reduce corruption?

Some corruption protection is one benefit; much, much shorter fsck times
is the other.

Executive summary:  Journaling filesystems have, by now, long been the
default on all Linux distros, and are highly advised except in rare
circumstances.  They protect against many lossage modes but you still
need backup.  Go with your distro's default choice of journaling
filesystem even if it's ReiserFS ;-> , and you're better off than without.

I could say more, but you said _executive_ summary, and they like it
short and vague.

> In a couple of weeks I'm going to be installing a new
> Debian system and will choose one of these journaling filesystems.

Taking the path of least resistance, assuming you're creating new
filesystems, will result in your using ext3, which is fine.  You can
read more at the relevant links on http://linuxmafia.com/kb/Filesystems/ .

If you're carrying forward existing ext2 filesystems (non-journaled),
let us know, and we can brief you on how to non-destructively add a
journal.  It's easy.