[conspire] reiserfs4

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Jul 20 14:48:44 PDT 2006

Quoting Bruce Coston (jane_ikari at yahoo.com):

> Arch based Underground Linux did Reiser4 only and my tests on a
> primary partition went well - BUT - RR4 wiped every partition from
> there on , inclusive , forcing a 9 distro rebuild .

I feel a bit silly coming to Reiser4's defence, given that I'm staying
very far from that filesystem on grounds of general caution plus prior
ReiserFS follies -- but logic compels me to point out that the "RR4 Linux"
liveCD's partitioning routine (the distro formerly called "Gentoo RR4
LiveDVD") did the dirty deed.  Blaming Reiser4 for that lossage isn't
reasonable.

> Namesys develops Reiser4 . Reiser4 shows better speed and more cpu use
> than ext3 but less reliability.

The speed really isn't significantly greater in the use cases I've
experimented with, anyway -- not to mention that ext3 tuning can make a
huge difference.  (I readily admit that I've tried only pre-4 versions.)

I have material on this matter in http://linuxmafia.com/kb/Filesystems/

Anyway, I think you might have misunderstood Don's question:

> > (Who's doing Reiser4?)

He meant:  Who's getting Reiser4 to work as a FUSE userspace filesystem?