[conspire] Fwd: Re: [sf-lug] Looking for a Senior MySQL administrator in San Francisco

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Jul 12 12:56:32 PDT 2006

Quoting jim stockford (jim at well.com):

>     I'm taking your persistence as care and invitation to get
> into it.

Not a problem.  I just hope you aren't offended.

>     Comparing with the left-handed Esperanto, it seems
> to me that we similarly don't get significant numbers of
> job posters.

By my estimate, maybe 10 postings so far.  And some significant number
have demonstrably been left in doubt on an obvious policy question.

>     I don't mind the condition of uncertainty, not that I like it,
> I don't care one way or the other. Let them wonder and
> post or not as they see fit.

Well, there you go.  It's the way you like it.  Doesn't this outcome
make you a "leader", though?  ;->

>     That the group is, in my scriber's mind, essentially
> silent means to me (the default group scribe) that there
> is no policy, not really, and therefore anything written
> would be in explicit expression of something that doesn't
> really exist.

I'm sorry, but the way that default works out is:  Job postings are OK.
That's a policy, just not one made explicit.

>     One man's noise.... Gets to experience: Adrien's
> experience is well known to you, but not to me, so his
> rants present a view of the industry (which I care about)
> that give me insight.

I enjoyed his rant, too -- but, like the posting the prompted it, it has
nothing to do with the legitimate business of LUGs, which is Linux
technology, and broadening and perpetuating a collective understanding
of that technology.

> per your last paragraph:

I should hasten to stress that, in that paragraph, I was not talking
about _you_.

>     I think your last paragraph is inaccurate in the main.

I hope so -- but have seen all too many old-school user groups (such as
SFpcUG) where nobody ever really learned anything, the group never
decided to FAQ the frequent topics so it could move on to more
interesting things, nobody ever tested let alone discarded a
preconception, and in general they remained perpetual tirekickers.  On a
bad day, SF-LUG reminds me of them.

How many SF-LUG subscribers do you figure at this point have even so
much as booted a live-CD Linux distribution on their boxes?  I estimate
few, judging from the way they talk -- like devout tirekickers, that is.

> So what are these old prejudices?

See the recent thread on security, and the worship of the Holy
Impenetrable Firewall That Averts the Need to Think.  Next, I expect to
hear that everyone needs to run virus-checkers^W^W^W rootkit sniffers.