[conspire] Fwd: Re: [sf-lug] Looking for a Senior MySQL administrator in San Francisco

jim stockford jim at well.com
Wed Jul 12 12:11:36 PDT 2006

    I'm taking your persistence as care and invitation to get
into it.
    Comparing with the left-handed Esperanto, it seems
to me that we similarly don't get significant numbers of
job posters.
    I don't mind the condition of uncertainty, not that I like it,
I don't care one way or the other. Let them wonder and
post or not as they see fit.
    Yes, I like your so doing! Thank you, really (even if
over-the-top and wildly enthusiastic, it's genuine thanks).
    Sorry for your vexed feeling, I do try to get it.
    That the group is, in my scriber's mind, essentially
silent means to me (the default group scribe) that there
is no policy, not really, and therefore anything written
would be in explicit expression of something that doesn't
really exist. Sorry to be stubborn, and I invite response,
as I actually do trust your experience and point of view
and do want to get it.
    One man's noise.... Gets to experience: Adrien's
experience is well known to you, but not to me, so his
rants present a view of the industry (which I care about)
that give me insight. Yesterday I was at the house of a
guy who has no CLI experience and tho't of me as a
guru (but I have little GUI experience and can learn a
lot from him--he's the GUI guru). I.e. we're all different.
Asheesh revealed his personality in the discussion
following Adrien's somewhat severe rant--not technical,
but valuable to me.

per your last paragraph:
    (sigh) All my life I've had a tough time studying, turns
out I got actual problems.
    I badly want to learn new things but hate the pain of
the road.
    Also I have a newbie's ignorance of what to do with
new things--puts a crimp into wanting to learn new
things--what to do with them? Is ADD Californian?
Might be.
    That said, I promote and teach, I learn and advance,
as do many of the other members, each in their own
ways. I value curiosity, learning, etc.
    I have to revisit fundamentals as I keep forgetting them,
and yes, I flee to them for their comfort, too.
    I do believe in the mission of documentation, as you'll
soon see, per my last promise. (On that note, thanks
for the linuxmafia knowledge base.)
    I think your last paragraph is inaccurate in the main.
How to create a path for growing into new possibilities?
How to recognize old prejudices (thank you to all who
point them out!)? Partly there's the fact of new people
joining not just the group but the greater Linux world.
Partly there's the fact that people have different interests,
goals, modes--as the CLI-less guy and I (the GUI-less
guy) each look like a beginner to the other, and are.
    So what are these old prejudices? See any? Name
them and earn more wildly enthusiastic thanks. Oh,
along with wiring expertise, complete with electrician's
tool belt, good at mutually convenient times at your
house.