[conspire] Daniel, Rick - Howto ubuntu pull latest kernel into Breezy

Daniel Gimpelevich daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us
Mon Jan 23 13:01:39 PST 2006

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 22:58:16 -0800, Hereon wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 02:23:20 -0800, "Daniel Gimpelevich" <daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us> said:
>> On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 23:01:01 -0800, Hereon wrote:
>> > 0) I suspect "take a look at what breaks" is a debugging, or investigating type task, yes? (ie, there's no one place to look & see what's broken, right?)
>>
>> What this means is: Try to use your system as you normally would, and
>> make
>> a note of anything that does not behave the way it should.
>
> Yes - that is what I thought, and would _really_ would like to avoid!

Nevertheless, that is exactly what Ben Collins was asking you to do.

>> > 1) Is it possible to investigate fairly easly your system to see what currently installed is from Dapper?  (Maybe some dpkg -l command, grepping for something indicative of dapper?  Could a dpkg -l be done, and then somehow subtract off the lines from a dpkg -l of a normal Breezy system?)
>>
>> The easiest method that I've found for this is to temporarily disable the
>> dapper line in sources.list, and take a look at what appears in
>> synaptic's
>> "local or obsolete" packages, but this is not very reliable because
>
> Even though it's not very reliable, if you wouldn't mind taking a look at it I'd appreciate it.  If you find indicators of anything you loaded that wasn't in your last email, I'd appreciate it if you'd let me know. Thanks!

Of course there are such indicators, because I've installed a whole bunch
of stuff from dapper at different times for different purposes. Most of it
was unrelated to the kernel, and I was only guessing in my previous
messages about which of it you would need.

>> synaptic relies on /etc/apt/preferences being used in a manner opposite
>> what I'm doing. There is very likely a much easier method, but I know not
>> what it may be.
>
> If you think of anything, please let me know. :)
>
>> > I certainly could apt-get the packages you mentioned in your last post.  But debugging failed package selections is not something that I'd want to attempt.  Especially if there is a fairly swift way of finding out from your system what the updated packages are. (& thank you again for your help. :) )
>>
>> That is why i suggested starting out with only the kernel and udev.
>
> Thanks!
It should be noted that the Ubuntu kernel from dapper that I had had
success with had a version number of 2.6.15-9, which seems to no longer be
available. The 2.6.15-13 in there now segfaults on boot for me. I will
investigate that further at a later time.