[conspire] Daniel, Rick - Howto ubuntu pull latest kernel into Breezy

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat Jan 21 23:34:07 PST 2006

Quoting Hereon (hereon1 at fastmail.us):

> Rick - same as "B" above. Also, I'm not going to be trying to add in
> optional programs, I'm just doing this upon the suggestion from Ben
> Collins that I do this to see if the latest kernel fixes a bug with
> exteral disks disconnecting (timeout).

A _binary_ kernel package (e.g., from dapper) should have a really short
dependency tree.  You might just look for it, e.g., inside
http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/, for the kernel package,
fetch it manually, and try "dpkg -i" it.  If it needs a couple of
things, grab those.  Or just, as I said, try the "sudo apt-get -t dapper
install [...]" thing, and trust the built-in dependency-resolution.

If you're wanting to compile an Ubuntuised kernel from dapper, you'll
need a few other things, such as the "kernel-package" package.

> And, I thank you for your suggestions. :)  [And also for whatever you
> did which Daniel said he relied upon to get his system to work with
> the newer kernels.]

Oh, all I did was mention the bass-ackwards way of using "pinning" that
I stumbled across, some years ago, assigning an artificially low
priority (50) in advance, via a paragraph in /etc/apt/preferences, to
all of a cutting-edge branch's packages.  It's a bit perverse, but it
works.