[conspire] Daniel, Rick - Howto ubuntu pull latest kernel into Breezy

Hereon hereon1 at fastmail.us
Sat Jan 21 23:01:01 PST 2006

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 22:32:14 -0800, "Daniel Gimpelevich" <daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us> said:
> > 2a) Can you come up with the list of packages?
> >
> > 2b) How did you come up with the necessary list?  From your general knowledge?  Did you look through some source or documentation or other references?

> 2)>
> I didn't really come up with a list; I merely started installing things
> on
> a trial-and-error basis, and it looks like I haven't made any serious
> mistakes. I would recommend that you start by installing the kernel and
> udev, and taking a look at what breaks. You can then experiment with
> installing some packages dealing with anything no longer working well. In
> my last message on this topic, I gave some suggestions about what such
> packages may relate to. However, all this assumes that you're starting
> out
> with a system consisting of all breezy packages.

0) I suspect "take a look at what breaks" is a debugging, or investigating type task, yes? (ie, there's no one place to look & see what's broken, right?)

1) Is it possible to investigate fairly easly your system to see what currently installed is from Dapper?  (Maybe some dpkg -l command, grepping for something indicative of dapper?  Could a dpkg -l be done, and then somehow subtract off the lines from a dpkg -l of a normal Breezy system?)

I certainly could apt-get the packages you mentioned in your last post.  But debugging failed package selections is not something that I'd want to attempt.  Especially if there is a fairly swift way of finding out from your system what the updated packages are. (& thank you again for your help. :) )

--
  Hereon
  hereon1 at fastmail.us