[conspire] A sometimes scarily small community, is ours

Adrien Lamothe a_lamothe at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 1 20:16:51 PST 2006

Rick,

I agree with what you are saying. You may notice that my reply to your post was specifically referring to your comments about argumentum ad hominem; my comments in no way endorsed smearing people anonymously and were not in reply to that portion of your post.

- Adrien

Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote: Quoting Adrien Lamothe (a_lamothe at yahoo.com):

> I attended a panel discussion event, at which the audience was invited
> to make contributory statements. A couple of audience members made
> what could be concieved as provocative statements (which were also, as
> far as I could tell, true statements.) One of the "experts" in the
> panel then stated that he "came from an era where people claimed
> ownership of their words, and there was none of this anonymous sniping
> from the sidelines." His statement sounded a lot like "no comments
> from the peanut gallery."

Adrien --

1.  There are certainly situations where the capacity for anonymous
commentary os very much A Good Thing.  We can both probably think of
many.

2.  Certainly, not everyone who posts anonymously (let alone using
LWN-style "handles") in the community is a passive-agressive shithead
trying to backstab people.  But a large number of such backstabbing
shitheads in the Linux community _do_ seem to resort to anonymous
posting for attempted smear jobs.  Very often.  Thus my point.

I of course _never advised_ giving people credence for no better reason
than them being known "names".  What I said was that a significant
number of morally-challenged people in our community choose to use
anonymous (or pseudonymous) smear campaigns to personally attack
particular of our better known members to whom they've taken a dislike
for (generally) undisclosed reasons.

I would not _completely_ refuse to consider an apparent backstab from a
nameless (or effectively nameless) source -- but I would always be
pretty damned skeptical and want to know _why_ the accuser is unwilling
to stand behind his/her statement.  And it had bloody well better be
something a lot less pathetic than "But if I reveal my name, Eric Raymond
might fly out with his guns and shoot me."

Experience shows that, statistically, it's actually because the accuser
doesn't want his/her own personal axe-grinding to be known, or knows
his/her charges are flimsy and doesn't want to be (justly) implicated
when the subterfuge is uncovered.  Or one accuser is posting under a
dozen fake logins, trying to convince the easily swayed that a vast
movement share the same views.  Or just basically the poster knows
he/she is doing something shameful and wants to get off scot-free.

I'm sorry, but I believe in names.  I believe in accountability.  People
unwilling to stand behind what they say, who don't have an _extremely_
compelling reason, tend to get from me a quick gesture of contempt and
summary dismissal.

My point to Jim, in drawing the parallel between two such situations,
the other being (ongoing) anonymous backstabbing against Eric Raymond,
was to politely suggest that Jim should do the same.

As should you.  As should everyone.

This also came up on the OSI license-discuss mailing list:  A critic
("Squiggle Slash ") sought to hound
then-president Russ Nelson out of his position, and therefore posted a
melodramatic and distortive characterisation of (and pointer to) a
rather poorly worded entry in Russ's personal blog on economics topics,
where Russ had attempted to make a sort of reductio ad absurdum argument
about blacks and the labour market.  The critic was (very obviously
erroneously) calling Russ a racist -- which was not at all the nature of
the blog post if you bothered to actually read it attentively.

You know what really pissed me off?  The tactic worked.  Even though I
and some others on OSI license-discuss mocked "Squiggle Slash" and
expressed extreme distaste, Russ was forced to resign -- because, in an
organisational setting, if even some anonymous shithead can succeed in
making you be perceived as being "controversial", you are a liability
and must be removed.

I think that is loathesome, and is sufficient reason why anonymous
mudslingers should always be received with the greatest of skepticism.

Here was my on-list reply to Squiggle Slash's initial post: