[conspire] HELP - Can't Get Ethernet Card Working in Debian on Laptop

Mark Srebnik msrebnik at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 18 17:13:44 PST 2006

on 2/18/06 2:45 AM, Daniel Gimpelevich at
daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us wrote:

> It says somewhere that the PC Card setting in your BIOS should not be set
> to Auto. PCIC has been the most Linux-compatible setting in the past, but
> is not compatible with your card, which leaves the third setting, CardBus,
> as your only viable option.

OK, Checked that in BIOS and changed it to Cardbus.

> Also, any option in the BIOS labeled either
> "Plug & Play OS" or "Windows 9x Support" MUST be set to No. This option
> may also take the form of a 3-way toggle between certain old OSes that may
> be labeled practically anything. Make sure you do not choose DOS or OS/2.
> Whatever form this option takes, changing its setting may or may not
> require a complete reformat of the hard disk, because sometimes it
> controls not only card interrupts, but also hard disk address translation.

Checked and there is no option in BIOS for ŒPlug & Play OS¹ or ŒWindows 9x
Support¹.

> Once you have taken care of those things, and perhaps also other possibly
> highly inadvisable settings in your BIOS, do the cardctl ident again, to
> make sure the card is seen. If so, check to see whether the system can see
> the eth0 interface with the "ifconfig -a" command.

Checked Œcardctl ident¹ again and card is seen.

Checked ifconfig ­a and it lists the eth0 interface.

It shows Œ0¹ for packets, errors, dropped, overruns, frame,
etc....Txqueuelen: 1000, Interrupt:11, Base address: 0x4000

Is that the results you want to see if it¹s working properly?

> If not, check to see
> whether the 8139too driver is loaded with the lsmod command. The lsmod
> command will only show loaded drivers compiled as modules, as opposed to
> drivers compiled directly into the kernel, which are always loaded. If
> lsmod doesn't list 8139too, try to load it manually with the modprobe
> command. This will fail if the driver is either compiled directly into the
> kernel, or not at all. Upon success, check "ifconfig -a" again.

 lsmod shows:

Module        Size      Used by    Not Tainted
8139too     12328      0    (unused)
crc32           2848      0     [8139too]

Plus lots of others.....

Any other advice to get connected to internet?

Thanks!

Mark