[conspire] HELP - Can't Get Ethernet Card Working in Debian on Laptop

Daniel Gimpelevich daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us
Sat Feb 18 02:45:57 PST 2006

It says somewhere that the PC Card setting in your BIOS should not be set
to Auto. PCIC has been the most Linux-compatible setting in the past, but
is not compatible with your card, which leaves the third setting, CardBus,
as your only viable option. Also, any option in the BIOS labeled either
"Plug & Play OS" or "Windows 9x Support" MUST be set to No. This option
may also take the form of a 3-way toggle between certain old OSes that may
be labeled practically anything. Make sure you do not choose DOS or OS/2.
Whatever form this option takes, changing its setting may or may not
require a complete reformat of the hard disk, because sometimes it
controls not only card interrupts, but also hard disk address translation.

Once you have taken care of those things, and perhaps also other possibly
highly inadvisable settings in your BIOS, do the cardctl ident again, to
make sure the card is seen. If so, check to see whether the system can see
the eth0 interface with the "ifconfig -a" command. If not, check to see
whether the 8139too driver is loaded with the lsmod command. The lsmod
command will only show loaded drivers compiled as modules, as opposed to
drivers compiled directly into the kernel, which are always loaded. If
lsmod doesn't list 8139too, try to load it manually with the modprobe
command. This will fail if the driver is either compiled directly into the
kernel, or not at all. Upon success, check "ifconfig -a" again.