[conspire] Partitioning problem

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Feb 6 23:23:35 PST 2006

Quoting Tony Godshall (togo at of.net):

> I'd put whatever you expect to be the heavyest read-load on
> (/var/www?) a 2-way or 3-way mirror RAID (to exploit read
> parallelism for best performance).

I actually don't know if the "md" driver supports 3-driver RAID1,
but hadn't considered that, because only two of the candidate drives are
of similar size.  But yes, read optimisation is a nicely incidental
gain you get for free with the redundancy.

(Karsten's about to post a big flippin' hole in my scheme, in the
portion of this thread on the SVLUG list.  I plead that I merely listed
as candidates for the mirror pair those parts of the file tree I back
up, in hopes that people would _tell_ me why parts of them would be dumb
to put there.  I'm about to get my wish.)

> Perhaps split swap across all three....

I've considered that.  It just seems oddly wrong, when the whole rest of
the 18GB pair are devoted to mirrored data.  But it bears thinking.

In case it wasn't obvious, I've never used "md" software RAID before
(only Mylex hardware RAID, which sucked ;->  ).