[conspire] Installing Dapper on PPC FW Drive

Daniel Gimpelevich daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us
Sun Dec 31 13:58:23 PST 2006

On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 13:18:07 -0800, John Andrews wrote:

> I wanted to install Ubuntu on a Fw enclosure HD. It's a G3 400mhz 384
> mb ram . I put Tiger on its own new internal Hd and it runs pretty
> good. I do not want to put Ubuntu on the Tiger drive so I bought a
> used 20gb drive to play around with in the FW enclosure.So far I have
> erased the old drive using the disk utility. There is still about 19
> mb left on the 20 gb drive. What is that? I was thinking it was the
> boot sector or something. YOU CAN NOT READ IT IN THE FINDER.

You must have used the Disk Utility incorrectly for that to happen.

> 	Maybe I should save myself a lot of trouble and put the old 20 gb
> internally and install  Ubuntu that way. Then  remove it and use it
> in the FW drive.

You will save yourself a lot more hassle if you put Tiger on the FW and
leave it there.

> I wanted to have 2 root partitions, 1 swap and 1/home
> partition.Should I make it root1-swap2-root3-home4. Do I have to make
> boot partitions or will the installer do that if I just create the 4
> other partitions?

I fail to see why you would want two root partitions. In any case,
partition 1 must be the partition map itself, and it is advisable to put
swap right after it.

> 	Are there any problems getting the PPC Fw to boot . Should I use
> Dapper or the newer one? It's actually quite easy to exchange the
> internal Hd on a slot loading imac. I did it in 20-30 minutes and I
> had never taken an imac apart before.  HAPPY NEW YEAR

Again, boot Tiger that way. Then there are no problems. If you put Ubuntu
on the FW, you will run into problems, albeit solvable ones. Don't forget
to turn off filesystem journaling in Tiger before booting anything Ubuntu!