[conspire] Ubuntu 6.10

David E. Fox dfox at m206-157.dsl.tsoft.com
Fri Dec 29 21:39:25 PST 2006

On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 16:28:35 -0800
"Edmund J. Biow" <biow at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> In my limited experience the stock VIA driver is still pretty raw for
> xorg 7.1.  In Arklinux 2006.1 on a KM400 using VIA whenever I try to
> start Stellarium or Celestia I get booted out of X rather quickly.  I'm

Hmm. Another stellarium fan :) I use it now to test 3d, mostly, but it
does look nice.

(much interesting stuff snipped)

> To stick to issues with listening to music the Edgy version of XMMS, for
> instance, freezes if you enable the Double Size option unless you beckon
> it using 'export XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1 && xmms'; it doesn't have

I had troubles with xmms over the last year while tracking etch, that
at one time I blew it off the box, only to find out that there are too
many dependencies and I had to bring it back. Doesn't mean, of course,
I have to use it. For quite some time, xmms was pretty much all I had
an all I used to play mp3s (other than plain old mpg123 on the command
line) -- especially on boxen with far less power than my current
system, such as a P100 :). Now I generally use amaroK.

> and none of them did what I wanted.  BMP, BMPx and Audacious are not in
> the repositories, not that I think they would fit the bill.  I tried

bmp *should* be in the repositories. It's in Debian as
beep-media-player.

Don't know about ubuntu. May be in universe &/or multiverse if you have
those enabled.

Personally I like bmp - visually more appealing than xmms.

Your comment about zinf is well taken. It *used* to work, but doesn't
right now, and it seems to be caused by running at depth 16 when one
should be running at depth 32. I compiled it from source a long time
ago - but I remember that it used to work. OTOH, I run currently in
depth 16 because of googlearth. Don't see why these things are
depth-dependent.

Unfortunately, there's no candidate version of zinf for debian so I'll
go ahead and compile one up. My version is pretty old - from 2004, so I
went ahead and got rid of it.

well.. it won't compile on etch :( and I don't know why, so oh well.

> I hope you can make it work.  Matrox makes such a nice card if you are
> not a gamer.   I've read no one has ever improved upon their 2D
> quality.  And I love dual head cards.

Yeah me too. It's good enough for stellarium and fgfs is *almost*
usable but not really. ppracer is OK though.

> 640KB should be enough for anyone.

16K on a TRS-80 :)

dfox at tsoft.com                            change magnetic patterns
dfox at m206-157.dsl.tsoft.com               on your hard disk.