[conspire] Managing wifi in linux

Daniel Gimpelevich daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us
Sat Dec 23 07:57:08 PST 2006

On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 01:41:35 -0800, Rick Moen wrote:

> Quoting Bill Ward (bill at wards.net):
>
>> Surely there must be a better way?  Some gizmo built into Gnome/Ubuntu
>> desktop that does this for me?
>
> Daniel recommended NetworkManager, and it's certainly worth a try.
> However, I also have other choices listed as part of "Wireless" on
> http://linuxmafia.com/kb/Hardware -- and please note the link at the
> bottom to Jean Tourrilhes's page, which has more.

Wasn't intended to be a strong recommendation, but rather an answer to the
question as posed. Note that NetworkManager will refuse to do anything at
all unless the /etc/network/interfaces file is set up in a rather specific
way. One has to be careful of that because the file gets modified by the
System->Administration->Network tool, whatever the name of its executable
may be. Also, after installing the package I named, one must manually add
it to one of the GNOME panels.