[conspire] question about EIDE ATA hard drive to buy

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Dec 20 16:51:16 PST 2006

Quoting Edmund J. Biow (biow at sbcglobal.net):

> The nice thing about RMAing a drive 2.5 years after it was made (which
> is when the warranty typically tolls, not when you purchase it) is
> that you often get back a much larger drive (I got 120s for the above
> referenced OEM 80s, though of course it wasn't worth the hassle).

No joke:  I RMA'd a dead Micropolis 1.3 GB SCSI unit (you laugh _now_,
but it was big then), then RMA'd its replacement, which also failed.
On the second occasion, the Micropolis customer service rep. made me an
offer I couldn't refuse:  For something like a $10 upgrade fee, I could
swap my dead 1.3 GB for a fully warranted, faster 1.7 GB replacement
model.

The unstated but clearly implied subtext was "Hey, bub, that particular
1.3GB model was a lemon.  If you have Clue One, take the upsell."

I -did- have Clue One that day, with change to spare -- and the newer
model was a very nice drive, lasting about a decade after that.

> CompUSSR
> Best Lie

I should start collecting these.  Household perennials:

Whole Paycheck Market (Whole Foods Market)
Needless Markup (Niemann Marcus)

I would hope to eschew the obvious (Office Despot, Home Despot....) and
certain inevitable vulgarities.  Please.