[conspire] Ubuntu 6.10 [was Re: ... distro news]

Tony Godshall togo at of.net
Mon Dec 11 13:23:01 PST 2006

[Rick]
> The first _development build_ of Ubuntu/Kubuntu 7.04 "Feisty Fawn" is out,
> of which the i386 and x86_64 ISOs might be of interest for the
> adventuresome (only), i.e., if it breaks, you get to keep both pieces.
> People unwilling to work through significant bugs should stick with
> "Edgy Eft" and wait for the process to play out.
>
> (I haven't yet snarfed the ISOs for this build, dubbed "Herd 1", but
> might do so if time permits.)

[Daniel]
> ... Oh, it's quite guaranteed to break very quickly. ...

I'm no super-repeat-installer-guy but I will report my very positive
experience with the current released version

I installed Ubuntu 6.10 on my laptop a couple of weeks ago and I must
say, wow.  It detected my WUXGA automatically and even the silly
little sound buttons worked (like mute, when it announced its
presence).  As almost-Free distributions go, it's very cool.

For the detail-oriented: The machine is a three-year-old Dell Inspiron
8600.  (I keep feeding it hard disks and RAM since I can't afford
anything with a rez higher than 1920x1200.)

Tony