[conspire] linuxmanship

Daniel Gimpelevich daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us
Thu Dec 7 16:13:25 PST 2006

On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 15:49:22 -0800, Rick Moen wrote:

> I feel like a sucker for having asked your objections to an essay I
> didn't even write, but, hey, that's my error, and I'll pay the price.

heeheehee

> Quoting Daniel Gimpelevich (daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us):
>
>> A point-by-point would be much longer than the page itself. L
>
> A truly glorious, epic hand-wave.  Nicely played, sir.

Outplayed you? This might be a first.

>> The purpose of the essay is the very first thing that has not changed with
>> the times. When it was written, Linux was "a better solution, which just
>> so happens to also be viable." Thus, advising those who wish to promote
>> and market Linux-based solutions to cast aside thoughts and actions that
>> might shine any kind of favorable light on a non-Linux solution
>> (presumably including *BSD and the like) was very prudent.
>
> Your premise about the "advising" is transparently bogus, and supported
> not at all by the text.

OK, this time I don't really see what you mean.

>> 2) What you described before regarding parasitically encumbering preloads
>> and the glut of consultants is far more true today than it was then.
>> These two developments very much work against the tone of the essay.
>
> You _might_ be correct, or not -- but it's completely impossible for me to
> determine from the above (or from the above plus the remainder of that
> paragraph) what on earth you mean.

My bad. Something got lost in several consecutive cut&pastes to rearrange
the message. In the part that got lost, I compared the essay to the
apparently genuinely disingenuous page promoting Windows, to which the
essay links.

>> I'd like to see such a work...
>
> Well, you know whom to contact.

I do? So someone has written one?

>> As I touched on above, it seems the opposite is happening: There's so much
>> candor and simple frankness that it gives the false appearance of being
>> calculatingly deceptive. Ironic, isn't it?
>
> And I thought *I* was a little paranoid.

It's just another example of the "sales resistance" you mentioned before.