[conspire] linuxmanship

Keith Keller kkeller at speakeasy.net
Thu Dec 7 15:28:56 PST 2006

[sorry to Rick for not modifying the To: header! yes, it was inadvertent]

On Thu, Dec 07, 2006 at 12:07:18PM -0800, Rick Moen wrote:

> o  The page is a marketing essay on how to (and how not to) market
>    open-source software solutions based on Linux.  Why no mention of
>    BSD?  Probably because that's not the purpose for which he wrote
>    the essay.

Sure.  But what happens if Client says "But what about BSD?"  Obviously,
this is incredibly unlikely given the target clients of the target
audience of the essay, and I am not advocating that a BSD mention must
be included.

> o  I'm guessing you're unaware that the word "disingenuous"
>    means "lacking candor, giving a false appearance of simple
>    frankness, calculatingly deceptive".  Which is a rather not-nice
>    thing to say about the motives of someone you probably don't even
>    know for no better reason than his having written a useful esssay.

I am aware of its meaning.  I can backpedal and rephrase as "it might
seem disingenuous to, say, a BSD advocate."  I certainly did not mean to
directly accuse Marti of actually being disingenuous with the essay,
which I did find quite interesting, but only wanted to play a bit of
devil's advocate, since I know one or two BSD advocates who would be
quite upset if I showed the essay to them.  (Interestingly, their gut
reaction would include some of the same reactions the essay recommends
against.)

--keith

kkeller at speakeasy.net