[conspire] Dapper & Easyubuntu

Adrien Lamothe a_lamothe at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 4 12:49:09 PST 2006

Sounds like a good contribution to xfree.org. Maybe you can look at the code and add that.

Paul Reiber <reiber at gmail.com> wrote: > > I was referring to the fact that the xterm would immediately start filling
> > up with reams of never-ending garbage.
> >

> I see that too. But it depends on the application. For instance, I
> routinely read mail by invoking "sylpheed &" from an xterm (actually
> it's a konsole) and see from time to time error messages on that
> konsole. I don't think too much about it.

This thread is good context for bringing up something which has been
bothering me for some time about Gnome and KDE.... hell, about X in
general, but especially those two, since the purport to have
"improved" things.

What ever happened to the days when...
 1) error messages were at least minimally pertinent, readable and
understandable by end-users, and
 2) error messages actually got DELIVERED to the end user, so they
knew there was an error?

I know, it's possible to execute "xterm -hold -e
gnome-volume-control", and even to change some launchers so they do
that... but that's just playing whack-a-mole with the real problem of
stderr/stdout management of X processes.

Am I alone in being concerned?  Every time Firefox dies unexpectedly,
and I see there's no stderr log sitting there for me to stare at
'cause I've accidentally fired it up from the gnome menu rather than
using my custom launcher, I curse whoever decided that window managers
should simply discard stdout and stderr rather than intelligently
managing them for the end user.

Thoughts?
-pbr