[conspire] Upcoming meeting dates

Daniel Gimpelevich daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us
Sat Oct 29 15:59:35 PDT 2005

Here are a couple of selected relevant quotes from the SuSE website:
What's the Difference Between the CD and DVD Edition

The DVD edition contains the complete 64-bit version of SUSE Linux 10.0 as
well as a streamlined 32bit version of the software. The CD edition
contains a complete 32-bit version of SUSE Linux 10.0. Approximately 450
additional packages not available on the 32-bit version included on the
downloadable DVD image. These additional packages are mostly language
packages for applications and development versions of various software
libraries.
SUSE Linux 10.0 Eval version

Alternatively, download the Eval DVD ISO image. It includes an installable
evaluation version that can be later upgraded to the complete product.
One major problem with installing SuSE 10 is that the ide-generic driver
is built as a module, both in the installer and in the installed system.
This is a driver needed on quite a few systems to see the CD drive to
install from, and it is not autoloaded. One must use a kernel argument
when booting the installer, such as insmod=ide-generic, to get it to
install at all, and once it's installed, it won't boot until you rebuild
the initrd for the stock kernel with that module included.

Installing from the 5 downloaded CDs on such a system, an added problem
appeared: When it asked for the second CD, it wouldn't recognize the
second CD upon insertion even though the md5sum matched, making it
impossible to complete the installation.