[conspire] Re: SableVM and (firefox) browser plugins?

Eric De Mund ead-conspire at ixian.com
Tue Oct 11 01:21:57 PDT 2005

Rick,

] > Thanks for the pointer to Open JVM Integration (OJI) specification.
] > I'd never heard of it before. I appreciate it.
] >
] > What I ended up doing is using Sun's JDK 5.0 Update 5, jdk-1_5_0_05\
] > -linux-i586.bin, converting it to .deb a la the instructions on:
] >
] >     Installing Sun's Java environment on Debian systems
] >     http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/142
]
] Nifty! I've duly added that as a link to <http://linuxmafia.com/kb/
] Debian/>; my thanks to you for providing that. (As should be apparent,
] I generally do prefer open source options over the long term, where
] feasible -- but it's very valuable to know how to install key pieces
] of proprietary software when you need them, as long as you know what
] you're getting into.)

You're most welcome. Ok: That debian-administration.org page I noted,
above, was one I found and used today when I couldn't find the preferred
one I originally came across several days ago. That original page struck
me as more complete, though I do confess that the debian-administration\
.org page is a bit more concise. I'm saving both of them in my notebase.
You might want to do the same in your kb. The link and its contents are:

    Java JRE/JDK Installation on Debian with java-package
    http://serios.net/content/debian/java/with-java-package.php

    1.  Introduction
    2.  Getting Started
        2.1 Debian 3.1 (stable, 'sarge'), testing ('etch'), and unstable
            ('sid')
        2.2 Ubuntu 5.10 (current release, 'hoary')
        2.3 Debian 3.0 ('woody') and Ubuntu 4.10 ('warty')
    3.  Download Java
        3.1 About the Java for AMD64
    4.  Install necessary packages
    5.  Create the Java deb package
    6.  Install the Java deb package
    7.  Verify Installation
    8.  Multiple JRE/JDK Installed
    9.  Browser Plugin

Regards,
Eric
--
"He must have made that before he died." --Yogi Berra, upon seeing a
Steve McQueen movie

Eric De Mund   |  email: <ead at ixian.com>
Ixian Systems  |  Mountain View, CA