[conspire] I've requested an impossible (package installation) situation

Eric De Mund ead-conspire at ixian.com
Tue Nov 8 15:18:04 PST 2005

Hello,

Help. I've fallen into an impossible package installation situation and
I can't get up. To wit:

    % sudo apt-get install kde
    Password:
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree... Done
    or been moved out of Incoming.

    that package should be filed.

      kde: Depends: kde-amusements but it is not going to be installed
           Depends: kdeaddons but it is not installable
    E: Broken packages
    %

I got into this situation by:

1.  Trying to install xmms-musepack, but it being similarly not
    permitted due to conflicts.
2.  Deinstalling kde--my window manager--with apt-get to remove the
    major conflict with xmms-musepack.
3.  Installing xmms-musepack with apt-get.
4.  Trying to reinstall kde with apt-get. No dice. Conflicts.
5.  Removing xmms-musepack with apt-get.
6.  Trying to reinstall kde with apt-get. Still no dice. Conflicts
    remain.

Help! How can I get up off of the floor here?

Thanks,
Eric
--
"...when floors are wet and slippery with manure, you can have a bad
fall." --from the 1976 OSHA booklet, "Safety with Beef Cattle"

Eric De Mund              |   Ixian Systems, Inc.   | tel: (650) 303-4336
email: <ead at ixian.com>    | 650 Castro St, #120-210 | fax: (240) 282-4443
http://www.ixian.com/ead/ | Mountain View, CA 94041 | Y!M: ead0002