[conspire] (forw) Re: [TAG] "I'll do it myself, thanks" open-source app: Gobby (cf. SubEthaEdit)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Nov 1 17:23:06 PST 2005

Warning:  Long.  (Well, he did ask.)

----- Forwarded message from "Benjamin A. Okopnik" <ben at linuxgazette.net> -----

From: "Benjamin A. Okopnik" <ben at linuxgazette.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 23:11:20 -0700
To: tag at lists.linuxgazette.net
Subject: Re: [TAG] "I'll do it myself,

On Mon, Oct 31, 2005 at 06:54:42PM -0800, Rick Moen wrote:

> I do know that hardly a week goes by with canned invitation messages for
> such services (e.g., "social networks") don't hit my mailbox, many
> purporting to come from friends or acquaintances who probably just hit a
> button saying "Please send invitations to this list of friends' e-mail
> addresses I've entered."  That is, it professes to be from someone I
> know, but the writing style (and, X-Mailer header, etc.) are wrong, and
> -- who'd have thought? -- it's attempting to leverage my acquaintance to
> get me to "join" something that just coincidentally happens to feed
> someone else's business model.

[ snip ]

> It's nice to know that we of the open-source world have a long-term
> advantage:  Our stuff doesn't go away.  If/when del.icio.us,
> LiveJournal, Flickr, BitKeeper, LinkedIn, Friendster, Frappr, Backpack,
> etc. all fold up their tents in the night, we'll still be here,
> gradually making progress and making certain that all work is available
> for others to use, too.

Rick, I think that I'm failing to understand your argument. I've seen
you make it before, and it just didn't seem that compelling - but the
fact that you keep making it leads me to think that there's something
there that I'm just not getting.

Is is the fact that some form of, say, my personal data (zipcode-based
location) is out on the Net? That the resources with which this is being
done are not under my direct control? I'm definitely not understanding
something, then, because in any application of this sort, the ownership
of those resources - barring some sort of a cooperative agreement among
all the users - is going to be restricted to some small subset of all
users.

Is it that you believe that there just can't be any benefit in this kind
of thing - Frappr, to cite the most recent example to come up here -
unless it's explicitly Open Source? For myself, I see no harm in using
their service; I've read their TOS and their FAQ, as well as their
disclaimer, and the "worst" thing I saw in there was that they might
advertise on their own site, and you're not supposed to complain when
they do. I don't really see this as a bad thing; my "cost" is nearly
zero (yeah, it took a few minutes to set it all up, hunt up a pic, etc.)
and I get enjoyment out of seeing where my friends are.

Yeah, their business model - whatever that happens to be ("we'll get a
billion users and that will allow us to sell ads" seems to be it) may
well be what drives their site - although I note that their server space
was donated by some company. I still fail to see how this increases my
cost, damages any of my rights, or restricts me in any way.

If you can explain what I'm missing, I'd be grateful.

* Ben Okopnik * Editor-in-Chief, Linux Gazette * http://linuxgazette.net *