SuSe 9.3 / Re: [conspire] s MEPIS 3.3.1 t2 Gnu / Linux

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri May 20 13:44:34 PDT 2005

Edmund J. Biow <ejb1 at isp.com> wrote:

> So how about all the crippled multimedia and mp3 playback that I've read
> about in SUSE 9.3?  The KDE desktop is supposed to be quite a bit faster
> than previous stripes of SuuuuuuuSE.

This is an increasingly frequent problem, as distributions become
headquartered in the homeland of software patents and the DMCA (as did
SUSE Linux) or were already here and become cautious (RHEL, Fedora,
etc.).  The standard remedy is to retrofit your distribution with access
to offshore, third-party package repositories that provide those
application.

For SUSE, you would use apt4rpm and Marc Schiffbauer's
http://packman.links2linux.org/ repository, which I notice now covers
SUSE 9.3.  Here's an article on how to set that up:
http://madpenguin.org/cms/?m=show&id=3601

> I just yum-upgraded Fedora Core 3 to KDE 3.4 and it seems very
> significantly faster and more responsive on my own speed-demon 800 MHz
> VIA C3 CPU rig on the $20 Asus OEM i810 chipset motherboard.

Hey, that's a real barn-burner.  ;->

--
Cheers,      "Transported to a surreal landscape, a young girl kills the first
Rick Moen     woman she meets, and then teams up with three complete strangers