[conspire] Psst, want to compile a kernel?

Tony Godshall togo at of.net
Wed May 4 11:40:27 PDT 2005

> It's pretty rare to actually need to compile a custom kernel, just
> because you've installed a new video card -- unless, e.g., you've
> purchased a high-end 3D card, are mad about gaming, and want to use
> proprietary modules from ATI or NVidia.  Even then, you'd normally be
> able to compile (or otherwise add in) just a module or two, rather than
> needing to re-do the entire kernel.  However, you might have some...

Hi, Rick, ghetek (how do you pronounce that?).

At least at the moment, lots of laptops are coming out with
wide aspect screens and you can't get the use of your whole
screen without the nvidia module, so it's not just gamers
and renderers anymore.  But like you point out, that's not a
whole kernel compile.

Did end up compiling my own, tho, because the README said,
IIRC, that the nvidia module might conflict with framebuffer
support for the same card.  So, since I live in X, I removed
framebuffer support entirely and built a kernel optimized
for my CPU.

Tony