[conspire] Christian draws out a Sun Microsystems guy

Christian Einfeldt einfeldt at earthlink.net
Sun May 1 00:04:55 PDT 2005

On Friday 29 April 2005 18:08, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Christian Einfeldt (einfeldt at earthlink.net):
> > Hi Rick, thanks for mentioning this interview here.
>
> No problem.  It was interesting.
>
> > Ultimately, I believe that open source is as unstoppable as a
> > rising tide.  I believe that we will see gcj and other open
> > solutions to the Java problem.
>
> Red Hat is giving that project massive amounts of help.  Sun
> could certainly, at bare minimum, commit to making sure that OO.o
> 2.0 functions fully on release versions of gcj/Classpath, i.e.,
> on the leading open source Java runtime and support libs.

You have made a lot of good points here in your reply.  It is late
for me now, 11:39 am, and I've got to leave the office here.  I
just found out that OOo has now been localized to Albanian.
Albanian, fer crissakes!  The announcement by the native-lang lead
on the OOo list said that there is no other office suite available
in Albanian.

I personally don't know how to balance the equities in this case
without coming out in favor of Sun.  Sure, we should continue to
bang on them to try to keep OOo as available as possible through as
many different setups as possible, Java, not Java, etc., but fer
crissakes, Albanian!  How cool is that!

So I guess my question to you, Rick, would be under what
circumstances, if any, would you be willing to consider balancing
the equities, and looking at the overall good that OOo has given to
humanity, and thus, by extension, Sun.