[conspire] Re: conspire Digest, Vol 26, Issue 14

bruce coston jane_ikari at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 23 15:51:53 PDT 2005

> > the iP4000. For the iP2000, just run kprinter and
> > tell it you have either
> > a BJC-7000 or a BJC-7100.
> >
> > On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 16:28:58 -0700, bruce coston
> > wrote:
> >
> > > my ip2000 used to just work after trivial setup
> on
> > > mepis.
> ubuntu 5.04 gives good color output using the
> 7004bjc800 driver etc. even when i specify
> monochrome.
> and ubuntu lacks a dialer so my home install can't
> dial out to get vital things i need like email.
> mepis331t1 raw install gives the old results i love
> using the 7100 driver on my ip3000, probably2000
> also.
> your advice does not work for many distro's anymore
> apparently....
raw install of mepis331t1 does work using the 7100
driver, I had updated my other mepis installs and now
use a basic 331t1.
> Ubuntu apparently includes a perfectly good
> command-line dialing system,
> though I haven't tried it myself. Set up your ISP
> info with:
> sudo pppconfig
> Connect with:
> sudo pon provider_name
> Disconnect with:
> sudo poff
thats two commands more than just pressing some
bbuttons with kppp and it looks like i will need a
shell - so 4 things to do it under gnome vs 1 under
kde and I'm not teaching my users all that...
> The HOWTO for using the .rpm-based drivers for the
> PIXMA should also work
> under MEPIS, not just Ubuntu. If it didn't work for
> you, exactly what went
> wrong? Maybe you could lug the printer to CABAL
> tomorrow to see what can
> be done about it.
... i want to avoid the alien bit if i can as i need
quick setup under linux to compensate for all the
difficulties any time i install w98se from scratch.
i probably will bring the ip2000.