[conspire] Re: Free hardware!

Eric De Mund ead-conspire at ixian.com
Sat Jan 15 00:37:27 PST 2005

Christian,

On Friday 14 January 2005 22:54, Bill Lazar wrote:
> www.freecycle.org seems fairly similar.

Christian Einfeldt <einfeldt at earthlink.net>:
] Thanks for the heads up about Freecycle.org. They actually are broad-
] er. I am hoping that our diyparts.org site will be more directly re-
] lated to computers. There is lots of good stuff in there for compu-
] ters, but it might not be as convenient, because it is more general,
] and geeks will have to plough through other stuff to get to what they
] want. I am hoping to focus more narrowly on computer parts.

In my view--and borne out by eBay--aggregation/coalescing rather than
differentiation is what will drive up traffic here and is what you want.

Why do sellers sell on eBay? One reason: Because that is where the
buyers go. Why do buyers shop on eBay? One reason: Because that is where
the sellers go. It's a positive feedback loop. The presence of more
sellers makes it more attractive to buyers. The presence of more buyers
makes it more attractive to sellers. (In a similar way, the population
of wolves that visits the valley floor is probably a little bit plumper
than that of those who insist on remaining on the upper slopes.)

There *are* other on-line auction sites, but ceteris paribus, any one
with a significantly greater population has an inherent advantage over
the others.

Yes, the increased generality makes it a bit more laborious for any in-
dividual constituency to find what they're looking for, but that's com-
pensated for by the fact that what they're looking for is more likely to
be there.

Eric
--
     A neighbor once found Nasrudin searching for something on the
street outside his house.

--from The Exploits of the Incomparable Mulla Nasrudin by Idries Shah

Eric De Mund              |   Ixian Systems, Inc.   | cell: 650.303.4336
email: <ead at ixian.com>    | 650 Castro St, #120-210 |  fax: 240.282.4443
http://www.ixian.com/ead/ | Mountain View, CA 94041 | Y!IM: ead0002