[conspire] Free hardware!

Christian Einfeldt einfeldt at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 14 23:37:13 PST 2005

On Friday 14 January 2005 22:54, Bill Lazar wrote:
> www.freecycle.org seems fairly similar.

Thanks for the heads up about Freecycle.org.  They actually are
broader.  I am hoping that our diyparts.org site will be more
directly related to computers.  There is lots of good stuff in
there for computers, but it might not be as convenient, because it
is more general, and geeks will have to plough through other stuff
to get to what they want.  I am hoping to focus more narrowly on
computer parts.

Actually, I should add also that the Freegeeks up in Portland came
up with the idea for an on line exchange of parts before I did, but
they had problems finding the right software to make it work.
There is also Otxwest in Oakland, but they focus mostly on Windows
boxes.  I am hoping to start out with Linux wizards, and branch out
from there.

My idea is that LUG meetings and installfests might be more fun for
everyone if there was an inventory list right on line that people
could go to when planning the next LUG meeting.  They could say
what stuff they need, or they could find stuff.  Etc.

I dunno.  I'm hoping that this website will be helpful.  If not,
I'll just scratch it and give it to someone else.  But I think it's
gonna be fun.  Thanks again for your tip!