[conspire] Re: Linux hosting

Eric De Mund ead-conspire at ixian.com
Wed Feb 16 10:27:53 PST 2005

Bill,

] I use linode.com as well. It's been great but for one problem - the
] basic level ($19.95/mo) can't keep up with logcheck. I had to disable
] logcheck because it was bringing the system to its knees all the time.

I think I need to use logcheck, even at home, behind a hardware fire-
wall. Thanks for mentioning it. How frequently are you running it, or
how frequently does it run? And what does "to its knees" mean, here?

] Another small gripe: the credit card I had signed up with expired, and
] I didn't get any warning - the site was just shut down. I only noticed
] it because I wasn't getting any mail. I had to go to their Web inter-
] face and update the credit card info, and then it would allow me to
] bring up the site.

This is the trouble with smaller shops; they may offer cool features,
and for a tasty price, but their suitability for one's business might
not be there. Or their business practices might be a little bit...
eclectic. For instance, one local ISP I tried out for domain registra-
tion, to get away from Network Solutions, changed my domain's registrar
to bulkregister.com, which is what I was expecting and what I approved.
Then, a couple of months down the road, I found that it was changed,
again, to directi.com. Why? Because he'd gotten a better deal to have
all his domains registered with them. And, on top of that, I found out
today that *his ISP* is the *registrant* (along with administrative con-
tact, technical contact, and billing contact) for *my* domain. Great
*balls* of fire, and knock me over with a feather!

Now, he's a good guy, and has told me he'll get right on this and change
this, today, and I believe him, yet this is the kind of thing one has to
deal with when running with the smaller guys. And is why I'm a bit pre-
judiced against them, unless they have a stellar reputation, such as
that of idiom.com and sonic.net. However, both of those, now, have disk
space quotas of 20 and 30 MB, which is ridiculous; my spamassassin razor
files, alone, were growing to be that big.

Thus my search. Thanks for relating your experience, Bill.

Eric
--
"When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly
stand to have the old man around. But, when I got to be twenty-one, I

Eric De Mund              |   Ixian Systems, Inc.   | cell: 650.303.4336
email: <ead at ixian.com>    | 650 Castro St, #120-210 |  fax: 240.282.4443
http://www.ixian.com/ead/ | Mountain View, CA 94041 | Y!IM: ead0002