[conspire] Off Topic: Looking for a Bay Area group that supports Microsoft desktop/laptops.

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Dec 13 15:57:43 PST 2005

Quoting Alan (ajd at adavies.net):

> I've been looking for a group of people that meet on a regular basis in
> the bay area dealing with corporate Microsoft systems.  I'm a help desk
> manager that's looking to share and develop new ideas particulary around
> MS desktop/laptop OS's.  If you know of such a group please let me know.

Just to confuse everyone, here's a serious answer:  You might try
SFNTUG, http://www.sfntug.org/ .  It's a predominently Microsoft-centric
user group in San Francisco (and some other cities), run by a guy named
Doug Spindler.  I've never been to one of their meetings, but Doug at
least seems a very active and intelligent guy.

The "SFNTUG" moniker _lately_ has been considered to stand for "San
Francisco Networking Technologies Users Group", as part of their effort
to branch out beyond, well, NT.  "NT" used to stand for that other thing.

Looks like their flagship San Francisco branch meets first Tuesday,
evenings.

Personally, I would rather spend my own valuable volunteer time dealing
with open source, and that users of legacy proprietary operating systems
are best referred to paid technical support
(http://zgp.org/~dmarti/linuxmanship/#enabler), but it's your spare time
to spend, in this case.