[conspire] No Sony DRM around here; I'm proud of you

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Tue Dec 13 10:13:27 PST 2005

begin Jeff Frasca quotation of Mon, Dec 12, 2005 at 08:43:03PM -0800:

> [1] Funny note about their native ports: they started this with
> Quake.  A cracker broke into their servers, stole the Quake code
> and posted it on the 'net.  A friendly Linux hacker ported it and
> sent a patch back to Id.  Instead of prosecuting, they accepted
> the patch and released the port.  They've ported every engine
> since.

Doom came out for Linux in 1994.  Dave Taylor: "Be
a pal and don't pirate doom.wad and doom2.wad it if
you'd be so kind."

"I did this 'cause Linux gives me a woody.  It doesn't
generate revenue.  Please don't call or write us with
bug reports."

Don Marti
dmarti at zgp.org