[conspire] Collection of music software for Linux

Daniel Gimpelevich daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us
Fri Dec 9 00:48:51 PST 2005

On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 17:40:46 -0800, Robert S. Johnstone wrote:

[snip]
> In the pages:
>
> *  A roadmap for Planet CCRMA
>    <http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/roadmap.html>
>
> *  Sound and Music Applications
>    <http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/soundapps.html#snd>
>
> there as lists of dozens of available software packages.
> The years of labor they must represent is staggering.
>
> For purposes of discussion, I am interested in programs such as
>
>    snd			sound editor
>    Csound		software synthesizer
>    Timidity		software sampler
>    ZynAddSubFX		software synthesizer
>
> but claim no particular expertise in such technology.
[snip]

Here's a bigger list:
http://linux-sound.org/one-page.html
<http://linux-sound.org/one-page.html>

On Monday, I posted this regarding TiMidity++:
http://linuxmafia.com/pipermail/conspire/2005-December/001582.html
<http://linuxmafia.com/pipermail/conspire/2005-December/001582.html>
Since then, I have discovered that a Debian package does exist for the EAW
patches, and I edited the following page accordingly:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MidiSoftwareSynthesisHowTo
<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MidiSoftwareSynthesisHowTo>
Fed up with the incompleteness of the stock config file for the EAW
patches, I went to the following page and installed the fifth soundfont
from the top:
http://timidity.s11.xrea.com/files/readme_cfgp.htm
<http://timidity.s11.xrea.com/files/readme_cfgp.htm>
I now have the EAW patches loaded and then overridden by the soundfont.
This way, the patches fill in the gaps in the soundfont. The results have
been largely excellent, with only one major mistake: In one single-track,
piano-only MIDI file, a drum kit was substituted for the piano. Note that
that page also has a different (better?) config file for the EAW patches,
but I have not tried it since this soundfont mostly sounds oh so much
better than those patches.

I will be willing to demonstrate the setup with whatever MIDI files people
choose.