[conspire] Re: penlug DNS seems to be down...

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Dec 11 22:22:31 PST 2005

Quoting Bill Ward (bill at wards.net):

> The registrar, joker.com, was down.  That means the nameservers were
> down too.  My personal and business sites were also affected.  It
> seems to be OK now.  Needless to say I'm thinking about finding a more
> reliable solution...

Man, that _was_ unfortunate.  And a little difficult to foresee, actually.
They had your DNS on three reassuringly diverse IPs (all apparently in
Germany, on three netblocks registered to "Computer Service
Langenbach"):

194.245.50.1
194.245.101.19
194.176.0.2

At a guess, one would have imagined that it would be difficult for a single
failure mode to take down all three at the same time.  I'll be curious
to find out how they managed it.  ;->

Here's a third-party discussion but no explanation:
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.domain-names.registries/browse_thread/thread/59a5a846c1d79fed/7f39d97eef742904?lnk=st&q=%22joker.com%22&rnum=5#7f39d97eef742904

Bill, I'm guessing that you just want a provider who does your DNS, gets
it right, and doesn't make you worry about details.  If so, you're
right; you just need to find someone else to do the whole package.

If you ever decide to take more direct charge of what your DNS consists
of and what nameservers it runs on, I'd be glad to write your zonefile
for you, give you some pointers, and offer secondary nameservice.  (The
latter would have kept your domains running during joker.com's downtime.)