[conspire] Re: x86-64 and 2.6 kernels (was: Fedora Core 3 for a Celeron Dell desktop box)

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Fri Dec 9 15:39:44 PST 2005

begin Rick Moen quotation of Fri, Dec 09, 2005 at 12:17:50PM -0800:

> Actually, the conventional corporate rules of the game _exclude_ Fedora
> Core (any version), not to mention Debian, Kubuntu, MEPIS, etc. from the
> "enterprise" category.  They're talking about a system with a guaranteed
> binary programming interface over at least 3-5 years, plus paid support
> and updates even if they suck.  Don't ask me to justify that:  I'm
> just describing the rules as they're played.

The "rules" are based on the consensus
between proprietary Unix vendors and the
proprietary application vendors.  Red Hat isn't
binary-compatible with proprietary Unix, but it is
business-relationship-compatible.

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/