[conspire] Collection of music software for Linux

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Dec 8 18:17:42 PST 2005

----- Forwarded message from "Robert S. Johnstone" <rsjohnst at idiom.com> -----

Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 17:40:46 -0800 (PST)
From: "Robert S. Johnstone" <rsjohnst at idiom.com>
To: installers at linuxmafia.com
Cc: jubilada at sbcglobal.com
Subject: RSVP CABAL Sat 10 Dec

Dear Mafiosi,

I would like to come to your meeting/installfest Sat 10 Dec 4pm ...,
hopefully to meet and talk with someone experienced in Linux sound
software and hardware.  I won't bring any hardware.

I have been browsing the website of Stanford's Center for Computer
Research in Music and Acoustics (CCRMA).  This site, managed by
Fernando Lopez-Lezcano, is very well organized, but the extent of its
software offerings is far beyond overwhelming.

 From the page:

*  What is Planet CCRMA at Home?
   <http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/introduction.html>

I quote:

"Planet CCRMA at Home is a collection of software packages that you can
add to a computer running RedHat 9 or Fedora Core 1, 2 or 3 to
transform it into an audio/video oriented workstation. ...
You will only be able to install Planet CCRMA on top of the supported
versions of RedHat or Fedora Core. ..."

Installing on other Linux distributions is not supported.

In the pages:

*  A roadmap for Planet CCRMA
   <http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/roadmap.html>

*  Sound and Music Applications
   <http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/soundapps.html#snd>

there as lists of dozens of available software packages.
The years of labor they must represent is staggering.

For purposes of discussion, I am interested in programs such as

   snd			sound editor
   Csound		software synthesizer
   Timidity		software sampler
   ZynAddSubFX		software synthesizer

but claim no particular expertise in such technology.

I will show up about 4PM Sat 10 Dec unless you tell me otherwise.

Thanks,

Bob Johnstone
650/326-0424
rsjohnst at idiom.com

PS. A long time ago, circa 1962, I took trumpet lessons with
the late Charles Bubb, who lived very close to your address on
Sharon Rd.